Monday, February 7, 2011

Developing New Routines

I know a lot of my online friends swear by the FlyLady, a site and program for developing routines to get the household decluttered and running smoothly. I really resisted the FlyLady because I'm one of those "I'll do it MY way" people, but I have found that there really are some very good ideas there. For one thing, she recommends incremental progress, which I've learned the hard way is much better than deciding to radically change how you do everything all at once, only to burn out three days later.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way I can achieve my goals is to develop some new routines to get things done and simplify the day-to-day. I started a couple of weeks ago to make sure that all the dishes get done every day. I'm getting better at it, and it really does make a huge difference in how I feel about the kitchen first thing in the morning. Now that it is February, I think I'll add a second new habit: putting the laundry away as it gets done.

I hope that by getting into these new habits, I won't have any days where I have hours and hours of work just to get the place decent. This will be crucial to my success when I return to school and have to study and do homework while keeping everything else from descending into chaos.


What new habits would you like to develop in 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment